Down The Rabbit Hole

“"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?” “She generally gave herself very good advice, (though she very seldom followed it)”

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Doritos = Happy Home



Have ever noticed things when you were younger that certain items held so much more significance for you when you were younger and you never noticed?

That is what happened to me last night with Doritos.

Yep, nacho cheesy goodness Doritos.

I was at home last night happily munching on a bag when I was struck by an epiphany. This is the first large bag of Doritos I have bought in like 2.5 years…(yep, I’m a big veggie, fruit girl, not really big on junk food) I got to thinking about the fact that 2.5 years was a seemingly very long time. Then it came to me… when I was little my Dad LOVED Doritos, and when I say LOVED I mean the man loved to eat Doritos every lunch we ate at home, every car ride to Grandma’s house (Mom had said that lunch was the only time he was allowed the triangular little snacks because it wasn’t good for him...Moms are always right...). But there were droughts between my Dad’s Doritos snacking… We only bought Doritos when the family was doing well. I had never noticed this as a kid but looking back on hindsight at the age of 24 I realized that those yummy little Doritos chips were a sign that my family was doing well… that we were happy, that things were going to be okay, there were a special “goody” for the family unit.

And now I bought a bag of Doritos.

Maybe things are looking up for me now too.

8 Comments:

At 7:32 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I love that kind of stuff! Although for me and my mom it was oreo icecream from the Schwann's man and Sonic.

If we got to go to Sonic it was a big thrill for me, because it was just me and mom time. No tv or telephone or anything. And the icecream always meant she was feeling well, we had enough money, that kind of thing.

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger RT said...

Great Post, FantasticAlice! It brought back all kinds of happy childhood memories :o)

My favorite times as a child were marked by donuts. Each week, Mom would stop and get us a box of donuts on our way to church. This was a significant time for me because it was the only time we girls could spend some quality time alone with Mom. Dad was a tyrant (and a stay at home dad) that wrecked our emotions on a daily basis, so I have no doubt that the Sunday morning drives are what kept us sane...

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger FantasticAlice said...

All, everyone is feeling all warm and fuzzy! Isn't it amazing how the little things meant so much to us as a child (even when we didn't know it).

Megan: that special time with one parent is ALWAYS nice... makes you feel so good when you were the "one kid and parent outing"

RT: yeah, one parent always has to be the downer, but usually they made it up to you.

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Rat In A Cage said...

I hate the smell of Doritos. My best friend in NY would always get some on the way home from the bars at 5AM when we got the munchies & I fucking hated the smell. We always had a blast together and he was an awesome friend so in spite of their horrific aroma, I guess they bring me good memories too. A photo will do just fine though.

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Zan said...

For me it was pizza.

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger Sublime said...

Love the post Alice! Also, thanks for stopping by my blog(s).

Last night I was thinking how when I go grocery shopping I still buy food like I'm 16 years old. :) Easy Cheese (Cheddar) in a can with crackers, Count Chocula cereal, string cheese and gatorade...lol. Of course, at least I now do buy the veggies and fruits too!

Take care,
Sublime

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger JR said...

Chips or no chips, I hope your life is always looking up!

-Justin

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Martin said...

That is really cool. It's nice to have symbols of happy times for your family and better when you can introduce similar thoughts on your own.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home