Down The Rabbit Hole

“"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?” “She generally gave herself very good advice, (though she very seldom followed it)”

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

One Hella Good Movie




Dusty happened to remind me yesterday of a movie I had saw over the weekend that was in my opinion "excellent."

Once again headed by an all star cast SIN CITY is dark, sexy, sinister, strange, creepy, comical and bloody---what else is a girl to need.

Just the entire feel of the movie is like a comic book. As the characters spout out their lines the seem to be able to be compacted into tiny little word bubbles in over their heads... short, descriptive, dripping with visions. The black and white theme is carried through out the movie and is occasionally stopped by colors in strange places... an earring, a dress, someone's hair, voluptuous lips on a woman.

Either way I give it a 10.

A collection of interweaving stories all based in the corrupt, crime infested hell-hole that is Basin City. Heavily influenced by film-noir, the main storylines concern a hulking brute called Marv (Mickey Rourke), who is seeking the murderer of a beautiful woman who was killed while asleep in bed with him; an ex-photographer called Dwight (Clive Owen) who accidentally kills a hero cop and has to cover it up; and a soon-to-be-retiring policeman called Hartigan (Bruce Willis) who is incarcerated for a crime he didn't commit. All based on the brilliant graphic novels "Sin City", "The Big Fat Kill" and "That Yellow Bastard", written and illustrated by Frank Miller.

18 Comments:

At 2:32 PM, Blogger Hank said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger FantasticAlice said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

So am I the only not spam here?

Anyway, I loved this movie! One of my friends said it was all TnA and a really "guy" movie, but I definitely didn't agree. I loved the way it was shot and the way only certain things would show in color. I loved the idea of these tough prostitutes protecting their own turf. They were definitely more than decoration.

I love the beginning and ending scenes as well.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger sammie said...

Love the Blog, and the movie reviews, I agree 100% loved loved loved Sin City, and wished someone had a bullet and a gun within the first 30 minutes of Alexander!!!

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger FantasticAlice said...

Megan, yes, you are the only non spammer so far... I have "flagged" the spammers though.

I thought the movie was great... I dig guy flicks more than girl flicks... but this wasn't either kinda flick.

I loved how everyone ('cluding the ladies) were tough and resiliant.. I love the language used... kinda out of an ole' detective movie.

Have you seen The Woodsman yet?

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger jacko492 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger FantasticAlice said...

Fucking spammers are pissing me offffff..

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger Rat In A Cage said...

Spammers will ruin this for everyone.

I have that movie in the queue for netflix about 5 from the top so looking forward to it - thanks for the review.

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

great review alice!!! you hit the nail on the head perfectly..it is a quentin tarantino film too isn't it? I just took it back to blockbuster yesterday, i made both the b&c and the kid watch it..

Its time to use word verification Alice..only way to stop the fucking spammers, who nailed the shit out of this post...fuckers.

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger FantasticAlice said...

Good idea Dusty... I saw that on Adrian's blog.

So, how do you go about getting the word verification?

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I have not been able to find it at my local video store (just call my town Hicksville) but when I am able to drag my lazy butt a few miles further from my house to the Blockbuster, I will.

Perhaps this weekend.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Kurt said...

alice,
word verification is in the comments section of the blog settings. It is a yes/no radio button. get there from the dashboard. I had to add it today also.
Blow the Fuck*rs up, Rat!

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger FantasticAlice said...

I thank you Kurt.

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Forzavryheid said...

The word verification works wonders!

Glad you activated it...

I never got around to seeing Sin City, but if you recommend it, I'll make an effort to DEFINITELY see it.

CONGRATS ON THE NEW ADDITION!!

AUNT ALICE. : )

 
At 3:14 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Spammers seem to hit at once. Fuckers.

I really need to see this movie, since there's been alot of fuss over it. Maybe I'll catch it this weekend or the next.

Sorry I haven't commented in a while, I just had to say that your niece is absolutely gorgeous!!

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger Zan said...

that word verification thing...pretty smart. :)

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger Martin said...

I need to sit down and watch the movie again. And for those who enjoyed it, writing has already begun on Sin City 2.

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger vincent said...

That was an excellent movie. I'll never look at Frodo the same way again!
Btw, I would hold off buying the DVD because they'll be releasing a deluxe version in a few months that will be loaded with extras. The current dvd is pretty bare.
Then again, I've always been a sucker for extra features.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home