Down The Rabbit Hole

“"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?” “She generally gave herself very good advice, (though she very seldom followed it)”

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

today's life lesson

INDIFFERENCE AKA NOT GIVING A DAMN ABOUT STUPID PETTY SHIT!

Main Entry: in·dif·fer·ence
Pronunciation: in-'dif-&rn(t)s, -'dif-(&-)r&n(t)s Function: noun: the quality, state, or fact of being indifferent

indifference n 1: unbiased impartial unconcern 2: apathy demonstrated by an absence of emotional reactions [syn: emotionlessness, impassivity, impassiveness, phlegm, stolidity, unemotionality] 3: the trait of lacking enthusiasm for or interest in things generally [syn: apathy, spiritlessness] 4: the trait of remaining calm and seeming not to care; a casual lack of concern [syn: nonchalance, unconcern]

Main Entry: in·dif·fer·ence
Pronunciation: in-'di-f&rn(t)s, -f(&-)r&n(t)s
Function: noun 1 : the quality, state, or fact of being indifferent 2 a archaic : lack of difference or distinction between two or more things b : absence of compulsion to or toward one thing or another


Main Entry: indifference
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: disinterest
Synonyms: alienation, aloofness, apathy, callousness, carelessness, cold shoulder*, cold-bloodedness, coldness, coolness, detachment, disdain, disinterest, disinterestedness, dispassion, disregard, equity, heedlessness, immunity, impartiality, impassiveness, impassivity, inattention, inertia, insensitivity, insouciance, isolationism, lack, lethargy, listlessness, negligence, neutrality, nonchalance, noninterference, objectivity, stoicalness, stoicism, torpor, unconcern, unmindfulness

Elie Wiesel:

The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.
The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference.
The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference.
And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.


George Bernard Shaw:

Indifference is the essence of inhumanity.

Martin Luther King, jr.:

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.

But there are so many apathetic people out there.... why can't I just occasionally be one of them? I want to go through an entire day and not be upset with trival problems. I don't want to be angry at the cocksucker driving in the fast lane 55 mph instead of 70. I don't want to feel sorry for the little ole' lady at the pharmacy stand counting out pennies to pay for a prescription. I don't want to feel anger and sadness for the attendants that didn't get paid on Monday because a co-worker neglected to hit the "save" button when entering their timesheets. I don't want to be upset when they tell me off.

What is the point when people shouldn't give a damn as much as we do.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Our fundraiser grossed $300.00

Why?

Because we raffled off a computer that we had to pay for with the proceeds.

I have extreme guilt over the fact I was selling tickets telling the donaters the money was going to build ramps at the homes of persons with disabilities.

When in fact we bought a man a computer.

Why kind of ramp can we build for $300.00?

One that goes to a dog house?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Someone was approved for our program.

We used to decide how much care a person gets by hours.

DHSS decided to change it to 15 minute increments

We just got a fax giving a person 8.2 hours from DHSS

Why the fuck can’t people (especially ones who make more moolah than I do) know how to do their job.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Asst. Director-Alice, I won’t be here Friday to take down the artwork (70 pieces) from the gallery and bring it back here. Can you do it.

Alice-Yeah, I guess, I did it last year without even being told to because there was no one here to delegate the responsiblility.

Asst. Director-There wasn’t?

Alice-Uh, no, everyone was having a very merry vacation all at the same time.

Asst. Director-Well, if you don’t want to do it I can find someone else.

Alice- No, I’ll do it, someone will end up screwing it up.

Asst. Director- This isn’t rocket science, it can’ be “screwed” up.

Alice-Yeah, but none of my co-worker are rocket scientists to begin with…. I’ll do it. That way, if they did it and screwed it up I don’t have to clean up someone elses mistakes.

*I think Alice is in trouble today*

15 Comments:

At 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alice is a Princessa - Her adversaries should be so forewarned. She should read:

http://www.bookclubs.ca/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780440508328&view=rg

One feels sympathy for poor Alice in Receiving - for it is she who used to Serve as The Red Queen. I think indeed that Indifference is reason suitable enough. But alas I think not that indifference was that which drove our poor Alice headlong into a rabbit hole. Tsk-tsk, Alice - you were supposed to be studying.

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger FantasticAlice said...

'Bout ready to take off the Anonymous comment allowance button here.

Poor Alice is wanting to know who is Mr. Anonymous. I have two guesses, and I believe I did know this person.

The Red Queen tips me off.

I shall check out that book though.

Conundrum wrapped inside an enigma encased in a puzzle.

I am entralled with your comment however.

“"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?”

“She generally gave herself very good advice, (though she very seldom followed it)”

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger FantasticAlice said...

tsk tsk....

Only one man has ever actually tsk'ed me.

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger FantasticAlice said...

Damnit, can't be him.... to many typos.

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

First off, I thought it was the dumbest thing this side of Dead-eye Dick Cheney that you guys had to BUY the damn computer..doesn't anyone go to the local business's and tell them they need a donation for a little free publicity? I mean, thats what every single non-profit I have worked for does when they are trying to raise money..its downright retarded to pay for the prizes out of the money, you WONT EVER make anything..ever.

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

plus its against the law to say all profits go to doing something..when in actuality it doesn't..big no no.

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger FantasticAlice said...

Yeah, STUPID! Thank my board members for that screw-up. My idea (if we do this next year) is have a front load washer and dryer donated (600 bucks vs. the 2000 bucks) and sell tickets at 2 dollars instead of 10.

But does anyone listen to the kid.

NO.

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger UnHoly Diver said...

I hate to keep quoting Ron White(actually, I don't, but go with me here), but You can't fix stupid.

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Scott said...

Sure you can fix stupid

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger FantasticAlice said...

Yeah, kill 'em, problem solved.

Or am I just being to quick to solve a situation.

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Kurt said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger FantasticAlice said...

Come back Kurt come back!

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger none said...

Speaking of washer and dryer... Did your redneck neighbors get rid of their crap in the front yard?

 
At 5:37 AM, Blogger Mad Housewife said...

Hang in there.

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry Alice. Sounds like you work with the biggest bunch of morons on the planet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home